en - [sympa-users] Reply to 'all' not working as expected when anonymous sender email value is set / successfully bulk sending to yahoo

  • From: Tom Fillmore <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed >> address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Reply to 'all' not working as expected when anonymous sender email value is set / successfully bulk sending to yahoo
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 13:36:06 -0700

Hi -

After hours of working on the issue, I think I've solved how to get yahoo to consistently accept all mails sent from my domain. Despite confirmed valid DKIM, SPF and RDNS values, after going through the numerous recommendations they suggest the only consistent way they will accept bulk mails is by changing the sender name to that of the list. In other words, address@concealed .

This detail and more can be found at:
http://yahoomail.tumblr.com/post/82426900353/yahoo-dmarc-policy-change-what-should-senders#_=_

Text from the page:
'The most common option is to use the mailing list’s address instead of the sender’s on the From: line. '

In order to make this happen the name of the list needs to be used in the 'Anonymous Sender' field. Unfortunately this means when a subscriber chooses to reply it goes to the list, which is not the intended action. Changing the 'Reply Address' value to sender shows the list address (as one would expect) but changing it to 'all' shows also includes only the list address. Not sure if that's an intended action for that choice, it seems a bit counter-intuitive.

Taking this into account my thought was to adjust the 'Reply Address' value to 'other email' and populate it with the original sender using a TT2 variable or similar. The other option would be perhaps to include in the footer a custom 'reply to' line with the senders' email.

This is the problem - what variable should be used? I see in the docs variables for the recipient but not sender and can't see anything else online or the TT2 site

What is that variable? Are there any other options for this? What has worked for you?

Thanks, I'd be happy to prepare a summary of 'what works with Yahoo' and have it on sympa.org or somewhere.

Tom Fillmore
southern California