en - Re: [sympa-users] dmarc policy caches causes clients to cache display name of sender <listaddress>

  • From: Matt Taggart <address@concealed>
  • To: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Youcef N Baouchi <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] dmarc policy caches causes clients to cache display name of sender <listaddress>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 11:36:16 -0700

"Steve Shipway" writes:
> There is not an option for something like "foolist (Steve Shipway)
> <listaddress>" which might be better in your case as the munged
> addresses would be indexed under "foolist".

Hi Steve!

That was my first thought for fixing this too. But then when trying to
mail the list their autocomplete might select one of the cached DMARC
munged addresses?

Maybe there is a way it could be munged that would cause the list
address to always sort before the DMARC munged addresses. I guess that
would require knowing the sorting type used by the clients doing the
caching which is going to vary O/S, client, locale, charset, etc, yuck.
But maybe we can find something that will work for most cases.

assuming list address is:
listname <listaddress>

* In some cases ( sorts before < so we can't use something like
listname (sender name) <listaddress>
* In ASCII { sorts after A-z, but not in Windows?
* In ASCII [ sorts after A-Z, but before a-z, and also not in Windows?
* A-z should sort after < in most cases so we could add a word after the
list name. But a word might need to be localized (unless it was
generic enough?)
How about this?
foolist via sender name <listaddress>
or
foolist via "sender name" <listaddress>

I think it would be good to figure this out and change the sympa default,
everyone with DMARC munging enabled is going to run into this same problem.

Thanks,

--
Matt Taggart
address@concealed