en - RE: [sympa-users] auto-population of very large lists

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: Amos <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] auto-population of very large lists
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 21:32:16 +0000

We have some pretty big lists here; what I had to do to make the web interface work effectively was –

1.       Get the latest version of Sympa; it incorporates the Riseup patches which really help with large numbers of lists and so on

2.       Tuning of the underlying (mysql) database.  This has made a huge difference, as indexes are being held in memory and queries run far faster.  You can also increase query timeouts.

3.       Checking indexes on tables.

Since the web page only shows a subset of the users, it should not matter that there are thousands of them.  Possibly you are missing an index on the subscribers table, or would benefit from adding an addition one?  Switch on slow query logging for mysql (or whatever database you use) to identify which are the queries that time out, and see if you can identify an index that is missing or that would improve performance.

You may also want to adjust the cache timeouts for external datasources on this list, so that it does not need to re-read in the file so often.  Using the web interface can trigger an external datasource synch which may take some time.

Steve

Steve Shipway

address@concealed