en - Re: [sympa-users] cPanel centOS install failure

  • From: Kemuel Carey <address@concealed>
  • To: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] cPanel centOS install failure
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 20:49:48 -0500

David,

Below is the information from the sysadmin helping with the installation.  I don't the answer to your question about automagically installing.  I have installed other PHP/Mysql applications and configured without any trouble.  I am not well versed in PERL.

If you have any suggestions on the below, please let me know.  I spoke with the sysadmin trying to install the application for me and he is willing to accept any recommendations for configuration.

Thanks,

Kemuel

October 18, 2014

Hello Kemuel,

Since this is a cPanel server, I did my best to work around the limitations. Since Sympa wants a document root for its web interface, and a database as well, I did my best to have it install and have these the "cPanel way" (which there is no documentation on for this specific application). That said:

I created a new cPanel account to provide a cPanel-friendly context for the username, database, and document root that Sympa wants. I set it up as sympa.paos.org. You have a wildcard DNS record, so unless you move paos.org to a different server, sympa.paos.org is where you would get to the web interface for sympa.

To avoid clashing with the etc/ subdirectory cPanel creates with every cPanel account, I made the installation path /home/sympa/sympa. I edited /var/cpanel/userdata/sympa/sympa.paos.org to have the document root be /home/sympa/sympa/wwsympa. This is so Apache recognizes the document root, and so that it will recognize it consistently between rebuilds and upgrades. This directory is apparently empty.

I created a database in the cPanel account called sympa_sympa, to ensure that cPanel will back it up should you decide to enable backups on this server (I strongly recommend that you do). It has a database user of the same name. The password is within /etc/sympa.conf.

Since Sympa is an unsupported product and I therefore have no previous experience with it, I was not sure what to set in the /etc/sympa.conf file besides this. I took a stab at these, but they may need adjusting:

domain  paos.org
wwsympa_url     http://sympa.paos.org/sympa
http_host       http://sympa.paos.org
Those are just guesses at this point. It looks like you need to set an e-mail address and a listmaster address, at minimum. All of these values appear to be editable by running:

/home/sympa/sympa/bin/sympa_wizard.pl

I would back up /etc/sympa.conf before running it or making further changes. Changes you do make, either through the above script or by simply editing /etc/sympa.conf directly can be finalized by running:

/etc/init.d/sympa restart

At this point, I would like to turn this installation over to you, so that you can finish configuring it. Let me know of any changes you make to get it working as desired, so that I can document what was done here as an example of a working installation on a cPanel server. Since I could not find any documentation specific to cPanel servers, this would be of great benefit to us should another customer make the same request as yours. Also let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

JM
Support Technician

Liquid Web Inc
800-580-4985 Toll Free
517-322-0434 Intl.
517.322.9412 Secure Fax
517.322.3158 Fax

October 22, 2014

Hello,

Just to update you, FCGI is now your PHP handler (it was SuPHP), but I am still having trouble with the web interface. I'm looking into possible solutions with some colleagues and I will update you when I have more information.

Regards,

JM
Support Technician

October 25, 2014

Hello Kemuel,

I got the logging set up. I tried creating a first password e-mail by going to http://sympa.paos.org/sympa/firstpasswd/ and sending it to address@concealed. I saw no trace of it in the Exim queue or log, but in /var/log/sympa this was the output:

Oct 25 19:27:03 www2 wwsympa[20532]: err Scenario::new() Unable to find scenario file 'address@concealed', please report to listmaster
Oct 25 19:27:03 www2 wwsympa[20532]: info [robot paos.org] [session 08467145709557] [client 10.20.4.122] main::do_firstpasswd() do_firstpasswd()
Oct 25 19:27:03 www2 wwsympa[20532]: err Scenario::new() Unable to find scenario file 'address@concealed', please report to listmaster
Oct 25 19:27:03 www2 wwsympa[20532]: info [robot paos.org] [session 08467145709557] [client 10.20.4.122] main::do_renewpasswd() do_renewpasswd()
Oct 25 19:27:03 www2 wwsympa[20532]: info SympaSession::renew() [robot paos.org] [session 08467145709557] [client 10.20.4.122] [user nobody] new session 49658581945751
Oct 25 19:27:39 www2 wwsympa[20532]: err Scenario::new() Unable to find scenario file 'address@concealed', please report to listmaster
Oct 25 19:27:39 www2 wwsympa[20532]: info [robot paos.org] [session 49658581945751] [client 10.20.4.122] main::do_requestpasswd() do_requestpasswd(address@concealed)
Oct 25 19:27:39 www2 wwsympa[20532]: info Auth::create_one_time_ticket() Auth::create_one_time_ticket(address@concealed,paos.org,choosepasswd,10.20.4.122) value = 74949154565234
Oct 25 19:27:39 www2 wwsympa[20532]: info SympaSession::renew() [robot paos.org] [session 49658581945751] [client 10.20.4.122] [user nobody] new session 17058984511273

Have you heard of these errors with Sympa before? Have you tried this same procedure with a different e-mail address?