en - [sympa-users] Archiving on lists with MailMerge enabled

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Archiving on lists with MailMerge enabled
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 23:03:14 +0000

I’m interested in hearing people’s thoughts on this one.

We have a list here with MailMerge enabled.  It has a special posting scenario, to prevent SMIME-signed messages from being sent to it, and the merging works.

To test postings, you can set the X-Sympa-Test header to YES and the X-Sympa-Receipient header to your own email (yes, that spelling is correct :/ ); though I’ve added code to List.pm and sympa.pm to allow a ‘test_it’ scenario outcome that does this (I’ve been meaning to submit this as a patch, as it means you can set a scenario to trigger testing by a keyword in the subject line).  So far, so good.

Here’s the problem:  When a posting to the list is archived, it is archived in pre-merge (which makes sense).  However, if you then go to the archive, and tell it to redistribute the message or send it to yourself again, then the mail_merge step is bypassed, and you get the unmerged message.

I think the Archive should run the merge step when it is re-sending items like this, though I’ve not delved into the code to see how easy this would be to do.

Thoughts?

Steve

Steve Shipway

University of Auckland

UNIX Systems Design Team Lead

address@concealed

+64 (9) 3737 599 ext 86487

  • [sympa-users] Archiving on lists with MailMerge enabled, Steve Shipway, 09/16/2014