en - Re: [sympa-users] Searching for subscribers without being a listmaster

  • From: Tornóci László <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Searching for subscribers without being a listmaster
  • Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 10:43:12 +0200

On 08/05/2014 12:03 AM, Steve Shipway wrote:
Does anyone have a way of searching lists for subscribers without being a
listmaster? That is, it would only search lists for which you are an
owner (or
have 'review' rights on).

No easy way springs to mind, but there are a couple of options.

1. You could create a dummy list, which includes the membership of the
various other lists for which the user is an admin. Then, they can search
the membership of this dummy list, and the sources will show which lists(s)
the subscriber is a member of. Of course, it means you have to set up a
separate external datasource for each and every list for which they are an
admin -- maybe this could be automated, though.

2. Query the Sympa database directly; select distinct subscriber records
where the list has the specified user as an owner. This would give the list
of subscribers programmatically; possibly the SQL could be set as an
external datasource for the dummy list specified in (1), allowing
autoupdate.I know this would be possible, as I already have a list defined
on our system that uses SQL to query the Sympa database as an external
datasource (so that I can have an auto-updated list holding as subscribers
all list owners for all defined lists).

Very neat idea. If you have a bit of time could you share the SQL query that you use for this?

Yours: Laszlo

If you want to write a custom
interface to the SQL that would be possible as well, or use the API with a
sufficiently privileged app ID.

Allowing non-listmaster access to the user functions would be problematic as
you'd have to add filtering by list ownership, and checking the may_review
privileges as you go.

Steve

Steve Shipway
address@concealed