en - Re: [sympa-users] LDAP Logins

  • From: Alex Hanselka <address@concealed>
  • To: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>, Sympa Users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] LDAP Logins
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 01:03:23 -0500

On 5/3/14, 4:04 PM, Steve Shipway wrote:
>> Certainly! Everything looks good here, so far. It looks like it is
>> getting the correct info when I use ldapsearch and this bind_dn. It is
>> just trying to be difficult I'm sure ;). It is frustrating because the
>> ldap logs seem to indicate that it is getting the info it needs.
> The entry you give looks OK. However, I know it would not work on our LDAP
> server. That is because our LDAP server has additional security that
> prevents access to certain attributes if you are bound anonymously, or if
> you are on a non-SSL connection.
>
> Is it possible that your LDAP system denies visibility of the mail
> attribute because of either the bind identity or because you are not using
> SSL? Also, are you certain that your LDAP entries have the email address
> in a 'mail' attribute, and that this one in particular has that attribute?
> Maybe use an 'ldapsearch' command to retrieve the record from the sympa
> host command line and verify it all works as expected.

Thanks so much for all your help so far! It is super appreciated.

An ldapsearch from the cli as that user does return the expected results
and has the mail attribute correctly. Just to be sure, I checked to make
sure there weren't two entries with the same email just in case and
there was not. I know the ldap server does what I want because I have
direct root access to it. The slapd.log seems to indicate everything as
successful too.

What attributes does Sympa need access to? It can see everything from an
ldapsearch but I am wondering if it is expecting something that I may
not have for whatever reason. Is there something else it might need?

Alex Hanselka