en - RE: [sympa-users] Sympa must somehow be DMARC compliant

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Sympa must somehow be DMARC compliant
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 21:55:46 +0000

We also run our DKIM signing at the gateway -- IE, we don't let Sympa handle
it. This means we're limited by the capabilities of the gateway, which do
not include any magic with the DKIM signature other than verification and
signing.

From the link given, it sounds as if the way to go is to change the From
header, and ensure the Reply-To has the sender email address if the list is
'reply to sender'. There are a few options on which format to use --

Given an original header
From: [sender.name] <[sender.email]>

1. "[sender.name]" <[list.email]>
2. "[sender.name] ([sender.email])" <[list.email]>
3. "[sender.name] via [list.name]" <[list.email]>

If no sender.name is given, then the user part of the sender.email is used
as sender.name.

The article you link seems to indicate that having the [sender.email]
anywhere in the modified header is a Bad Thing, though I'm not sure why. I
might modify my patch to allow the user to choose from these different
options.

The Sympa team are probably discussing how best to handle this; I expect we
will hear from them once they've come to a group decision. There are a lot
of ways this could be done; my personal preference, in line with Open Source
philosophy, is to do all of them :) -- and let the list admin select their
preference.

Steve

Steve Shipway
address@concealed