en - RE: [sympa-users] Can listmasters/owners issue SET listname DIGEST for a user?

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Can listmasters/owners issue SET listname DIGEST for a user?
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 09:27:47 +0000

>> By 'password approval for admin commands', do you mean asking for
>> re-authentication by admins when they do a major command via the web?

> No. I mean allowing a password to be sent with the command. The extra
> confirmation cycle is viewed as unnecessary hassle.

Send an unencrypted password in an email? I know what our security team
would say about that one if I ever let it happen!

However, this again depends on your environment, and where your civilians
would be sending these password-laden emails from. If all is internal, and
your mail admins are also your list admins, people never keep their 'sent'
emails in places that might get compromised, and you're feeling confident
that people will use a different password to their network login, then maybe
it's OK for you. I'd not want this on our system, though, so if it were ever
implemented in Sympa I'd definitely want a way to disable it.

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead