en - Re: [sympa-users] Can listmasters/owners issue SET listname DIGEST for a user?

  • From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <address@concealed>
  • To: Matt Taggart <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Can listmasters/owners issue SET listname DIGEST for a user?
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 21:17:16 -0800

On 3/1/14, 6:21 PM, Matt Taggart wrote:
"Roger B.A. Klorese" writes:
Thanks. That, and password approval for admin commands, are significant
gaps to other list managers.
I don't know quite what you mean by "password approval for admin commands"
but you can control what is needed for commands via scenari and also
edit_list.conf. Keep in mind you don't want to set things that are easily
hacked with a forged sender.

Maybe if you explain more what your goal is it would be easier to figure
out how to accomplish it. The scenari give you lots of flexibility.

We have migrated a lot of lists, in multiple robots, from Majordomo 2 (where they have been hosted for a decade) to Sympa.

Many of our list-owners and listmasters have integrated the subscription process into their websites, and have done so via email. Others have been accustomed to be able to do all management functions by email.

It is a very common form of integration for websites to offer an email address blank and a radio button for digest or non-digest format, and to send the subscription request to be processed. Our lists have, under Mj2, required approval by the list-owner and confirmation by the subscriber; however, the list-owner confirmation process could be short-circuited by sending the request with the list's administrative password:

approve LISTPW subscribe LISTNAME address@concealed

In the absence of a list password, having the website's sending email address have such privileges if its password were given would be feasible, since the (unseen) password would need to be spoofed for a request to be forged.

Similarly, Mj2 supports the following syntax:

subscribe-set-digest LISTNAME address@concealed

(or "subscribe-set-each" if the digest format is the default format). This could be combined with the approval password.

In the absence of an integrated option, earlier versions did:

subscribe LISTNAME address@concealed
set LISTNAME digest address@concealed