en - RE: [sympa-users] Subscribers via data inclusion file

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: David Verdin <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Subscribers via data inclusion file
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 09:03:02 +0000

The .incl method of defining members would definitely be preferable for us to the template method.

We have a setup where all 2000+ staff members are able to create lists, then our service desk have listmaster privileges to activate them.  We want staff to be able to create lists linked to one or more LDAP datasources (our site directory) so that they can link list membership to LDAP group membership; list families would be no good for this as it does not allow the independent full configuration and flexibility we require.  Currently, they have to define everything apart from the LDAP credentials, which are then added by the service desk; it would be better if they could simply hook in an include file and group name parameter (as they can do with the list owner/editor definitions) and check the membership immediately.  This is also much simpler for inexperienced list owners.

However, some departments have their own LDAP servers, and they need to be able to edit the ldap definitions directly, so restricting the password field access to listmasters only doesn't work for us.

I do agree that it is currently inconsistent to have owners/editors configured with .incl and subscribers with the various include methods, and these should be handled in the same way.  Using the normal include methods for owners/editors would make sense.

However I think it would be good to provide the .incl method of external definition as well as all the others; although it may not make sense for some, in other cases it can be the best solution.  One of the strengths of Sympa is its flexibilty and wide range of features; I think this would be a useful option to have available, even if not everyone would use it.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS