en - RE: [sympa-users] Restricting postings to a list without a challenge/response.

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: "Michael D. Sofka" <address@concealed>, sympa-users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Restricting postings to a list without a challenge/response.
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 09:06:50 +0000

One option you have, is that you can use an S/MIME signature to validate the
email. We have this on some lists. You just obtain an S/MIME signature for
the people entitle to post to the list, and make sure your send scenario
covers them (maybe make them list editors, or have a separate list in a
file). Set the send scenario to require an S/MIME signature.

Your current way is a bit insecure if anyone finds out the password - though
not as insecure as having no additional confirmation, of course! If
moderation and confirmation mails are not acceptable, then S/MIME is probably
the way to go, and is more secure anyway.

You *could* create a custom send scenario that validates the content of the
message to contain the password field, but there is no way I know of to
remove the password line from the body before distribution.

Another possibility is to have a password *header* -- eg, X-Password: -- and
set the list options to strip the header before distribution, similar to the
way the Approved header works in NNTP. Then a custom posting scenario could
validate the password header line. However, you would need to send the
message from a mail client that is capable of adding custom headers.

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead