en - Re: [sympa-users] Web Archive is slow

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Web Archive is slow
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 17:40:13 +0100

Le 05/02/13 17:08, YANG ChengFu a écrit :
Hello David,

thanks for your reply, the busy mailing list will receive about 4000 mails per hour, the size of mails varies from 100KB to 5MB,
Wow... That's some mighty busy list you got there...
after I created it, in 1 day, in sympa spool outgoing folder there will about 1000 mails waiting for achive, so I had to stop the mailing list, and I waited for 6 hours before all the mails in outgoing folder got achived !.
And that can't go any better the more you wait, the worst it will be...

I don't use Network disk !
Darn...
Well, you reached some limits of the archiver... In future releases, we want to allow listmasters to run as many Sympa processes as they want but the archiver is simply not fit for this right now. It is taylored to run in a single instance, period. It doesn't lock files before accessing them, for example. I could give you a hack to run several archived.pl, but you could have collisions when moving / deleting files. So that's not the solution.

One could try to use the custom archiver. It is a feature in Sympa that allows you to call another program to handle archiving: https://www.sympa.org/manual/web-interface#custom_archiver
Here is an example of such a custom archiver that stores archives in an RDBMS: https://www.sympa.org/contribs/custom_web_archiver
Having this kind of plug can allow you to get rid of your problems.
Another solution could be to have a script regularly moving archives out of the outgoing spool and replace them nightly, when a lower level of activity allows to archive the messages you had to quarantine.

Sorry, I don't see another solution right now.

Regards,

David

--
Yang