en - Re: [sympa-users] do_search_list times out with large number of lists

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] do_search_list times out with large number of lists
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 00:26:38 +0900

Kristina, Steve and all,

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 07:39:19 +0000
Steve Shipway <address@concealed> wrote:

> > Riseup upgraded to sympa-6.1.15 which includes the database caching
> > patch - yay!
> >
> > We found an issue with do_search_list, though -- this function was
> > still regularly timing out for us, since it was still iterating over
> > all lists.
>
> We found the same on our system (6.1.14), too, since with 30,000+ lists the
> search times out completely. I added the same patch to the appropriate
> places (the search-by-category also needs to do this).
>
> I believe it was omitted from the release because it uses RLIKE which is
> not available in every database. However, I would think that it would be
> preferable if the release code checked for use of MySQL and used the
> database method if mysql and the slower code method otherwise...

Brave users might want to check the current development branch,
Sympa-6.2. It is originally based on Riseup patch and performs
search for lists accessing database directly by portable way
(NOTE that development branch does not expect production use).

> We also have had to add a patch to allow use of ODBC database for external
> datasources (which means you can use MSSQL), and another to have a second
> param for subscriber name in LDAP and database external datasources.

Interesting. Would you please inform your experiences using ODBC?

Regards,

> Steve

-- Soji

--