en - RE: [sympa-users] Sympa and high availabilty

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: Christopher Andrews <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Sympa and high availabilty
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 00:30:49 +0000

I think most of the issues, if any, will relate to race conditions, and so will be difficult to reliably test for.

The shared database would seem OK for most, but might be an issue for the logs table and more importantly the table used for spools.

The spool directories can likely be separate, apart from the moderation and auth queues!  These would need to be shared because you cant know which server will end up being asked to approve the post.

As fast as resynch tasks go, for external datasources, you could either kill task manger on one server, delete the tasks files on one server, or simply halve the TTLs for the datasources.  My preference would be for the latter since the first two options have problems for HA.  If you just halve the TTL in the list definition, and make sure that the scheduled tasks are perfectly out of synch, then you effectively get proper synchronisation... we have used a similar method in a different system here.

We currently have about 12,000 ldap-based lists, with a 1-day TTL (but a 1-hour TTL on distribution).  These do not put undue loading on our LDAP cluster or on the Sympa server, though the LDAP cluster does occasionally ping us as a suspect DoS source...

Tasks for subscription reminders, though, would be more of an issue – not sure of a good way to get around this, since Sympa doesn’t make an internal note of the last reminder time, it just relies on the task schedule time (though it appears to auto-recreate the remind task if you delete it)

The archiving task can likely run on both servers and probably should, if you’re keeping the spools separate.  Rebuilding the HTML archives more frequently than strictly required shouldn’t be a problem, and it means that should one server go down then the other will continue to handle the work without intervention.

Steve

Steve Shipway

ITS Unix Services Design Lead

University of Auckland, New Zealand