en - [sympa-users] Sympa and high availabilty

  • From: Christopher Andrews <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Sympa and high availabilty
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 20:20:20 +0000

We are currently exploring our Sympa upgrade paths.  We currently have one Sympa 5.3X server with a local MySQL database instance.  We are looking at using Sympa to replace some other mail list functionality on campus and possibly replacing our custom bulk mailer.  Is it possible to do the following architecture?

·         One F5 Load Balancer Pair doing SSL off load for the web UI

·         2 Sympa front ends (Linux servers running sendmail and Sympa)

·         One mirrored SQL instance (2 Linux servers running mirrored MySQL)

·         NFS mounts for shared files, like the web archives and configuration files

We are going for High Availability here, any one server (or NetApp head or F5 loadblancer) could fail and the whole system keep chugging along.  We could even break out the BULK.PL to other servers to reduce the load on the frontends.  Also we would be virtualizing all of the server on VMware ESXi  4.1.

---

  Chris Andrews

  Boston College

  Collaboration Team