en - RE: [sympa-users] Sympa and high availabilty

  • From: Christopher Andrews <address@concealed>
  • To: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Sympa and high availabilty
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 16:35:06 +0000

I was thinking the same thing about the spools, there is no need to have the servers share the actual spools. If each server has its own spool folders in separate parent folders on the same NFS mount, or are on separate NFS mounts that are mounted to both servers, then if the one fails it would be trivial to copy of the spooled messages from the downed server to the active server.  That was we do not have to worry about the separate Sympa instances fighting over the spool files and folders.

Manually having to restart Sympa to implement changes across both servers is not an issue, all changes have to be planned and completed off hours.

A couple of further questions:

·         Are there any issues with having two Sympa instances talking to the same database?

·         We will be doing a lot of LDAP based lists and nested lists, so would we want to limit the task_manager.pl to one server? or could it run on both servers?

·         How about the archived.pl process?  Would we only want one of the instances to be responsible for archiving of incoming messages?

---

  Chris Andrews

  Boston College

  Collaboration Team