en - RE: [sympa-users] 2 robots give issue to modertation

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: christopher pax <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] 2 robots give issue to modertation
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 00:37:57 +0000

I’ll mention another issue we had, similar to this.

Initially, we set up our virtual list domains as CNAMEs for the list server hostname.

  List.auckland.ac.nz CNAME Sympa.auckland.ac.nz.

  Sympa.auckland.ac.nz A  130.216.191.21

  Sympa.auckland.ac.nz MX gateway.auckland.ac.nz.

This worked for mails sent from our Exchange system ; however it turned out that sendmail under linux will ‘canonicalise’ the hostname by default on the way out, so ‘address@concealed’ gets silently changed to ‘address@concealed’ before it even reaches you.  This causes control messages to hit the wrong robot, and even some lists to go to the wrong place.

In the end, we had to create multiple A and MX records for the virtual domains; IE new A records, all pointing to the same IP, for each and every robot on the server.

  List.auckland.ac.nz A 130.216.191.21

  List.auckland.ac.nz MX gateway.auckland.ac.nz.

  Sympa.auckland.ac.nz A  130.216.191.21

  Sympa.auckland.ac.nz MX gateway.auckland.ac.nz.

This solved the issue with misdelivered message from linux servers; it may be related to your problem as well.

Steve

Steve Shipway

ITS Unix Services Design Lead

University of Auckland, New Zealand