en - [sympa-users] How can I map/translate the Majordomo 'restrict_post = <listname>.post' setting into Sympa?

  • From: Geoff Mayes <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] How can I map/translate the Majordomo 'restrict_post = <listname>.post' setting into Sympa?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 18:02:23 +0000

Hello,

I've rewritten the majordomo2sympa.pl script in a more abstract way that
handles just about every Majordomo setting. I plan to add it to the Sympa
contrib section when it's finished, which should be in the next couple weeks.
I've been able to map just about every Majordomo configuration setting into
Sympa except for the 'restrict_post = <listname>.post' setting, which
instructs Majordomo to restrict post access to an arbitrary list of email
addresses listed in the <listname>.post file (a list of emails that is
different from and has different access than owners, moderators, and
subscribers). Can someone recommend the best way to do this in Sympa? Here
is what I'm doing with other 'restrict_post' settings as well as some
possible solutions.

--------
Majordomo setting => Sympa setting
--------
restrict_post = <listname> => Import subscribers into Sympa and set Sympa's
"Who can send messages" to "Restricted to subscribers"
restrict_post = <listname>.moderator => Import moderators into Sympa and
set Sympa's "Who can send messages" to "Newsletter, restricted to moderators"
restrict_post = <some other listname> => (1) Import "some other listname."
(2) Create a Sympa "custom parameter" with "var name" equal to
"restrict_post" and "var value" equal to the "some other listname". (3)
Create an authorization scenario called something like "send.restrictpost"
and add "is_subscriber([custom_vars->restrict_post],[sender])..."
restrict_post = <listname>.post => ???

--------
Possible ideas for solving 'restrict_post = <listname>.post'
--------
1. Create a "custom_attribute" named something like "can_post_to_list". (It
looks like custom_attributes are subscriber_table attributes and not
user_table attributes, but the documentation calls them "Custom User
Attributes". Are they really subscriber attributes?) By default
"custom_attributes" are displayed on a subscriber's "Subscriber Options"
page, but to map the usage correctly from Majordomo only listowners should be
able to set this bit, so I would then need to hide that field from
"Subscriber Options" and add it to the "Admin" section of the list, perhaps
under "Manage Subscribers".
2. Use "db_additional_subscriber_fields" by setting that value in
/etc/sympa.conf to "can_post" and then creating that column in the database
with " alter table subscriber_table add can_post tinyint(1) after
visibility_subscriber;". The problem with this solution is that Sympa
doesn't provide any CRUD functionality for that new database column, so the
CGI files would have to be hacked and it would be ideal to not do this so
future upgrades are a lot easier.
3. Create a hidden/closed/disabled list named "<listname>-post" that has the
same owners/moderators as "<listname>" and create an authorization scenario
to only allow people to post to "<listname>" if they are subscribers of
"<listname>-post". The drawbacks to this approach are the extra management
and complexity costs for listowners to maintain a separate list just for
posting access control.

Thank you very much for any assistance coming up with an elegant solution for
this problem,

Geoff Mayes

  • [sympa-users] How can I map/translate the Majordomo 'restrict_post = <listname>.post' setting into Sympa?, Geoff Mayes, 01/13/2012