en - RE: [sympa-users] How do I add a new administrator?

  • From: Malcolm Waltz <address@concealed>
  • To: "'address@concealed'" <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] How do I add a new administrator?
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:07:40 +0000

Hi Sean,

Take a look at your mail logs and queues on that system.  You may have an issue with your MTA.  You may also find some clues in your sympa log (if you have configured it in syslog.conf) or your apache logs.

Possible mail log locations:

/var/log/maillog

/var/log/messages

Look at your mail queue:

mailq (sendmail or postfix)

mailq -Ac (client queue for sendmail)

If you are building a production mailing list server you should probably spend some time choosing and configuring your MTA.  Sendmail is typically the default MTA on most *nix systems and can definitely get the job done, but I would recommend Postfix if performance or flexibility is important.  Postfix is also easier to learn (by most peoples estimation) if you are new to MTAs.

Postfix resources:

http://www.postfix.org/

I strongly recommend: "The BOOK of POSTFIX" (ISBN: 978-1-59327-001-8), http://nostarch.com/postfix.htm

The O'REILLY book is also good: "Postfix: The Definitive Guide" (ISBN: 0-596-00212-2)

Sendmail resources:

http://www.google.com/

http://www.sendmail.com/sm/open_source/

The O'REILLY "bat" book: "sendmail" (2nd Edition ISBN: 1-56592-222-0)

The 4th Edition is now listed on www.oreilly.com:  http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596510299.do

-- Malcolm Waltz

Unix Systems Administrator III

Office of Information Technology