en - Re: [sympa-users] Sympa as Groups Management Tool

  • From: Thomas Berry <address@concealed>
  • To: Eileen Roach <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Sympa as Groups Management Tool
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 10:55:11 -0700

We took the opposite approach: our list server member management was incorporated with our existing group management which is stored in a centrally managed LDAP directory. Sympa has the ability to integrate with LDAP and provides two level LDAP query capability which allowed us to integrate mailing list membership with groups where the member's distinguished names (DN) point to the members' entries (where their email addresses are found) also stored in the LDAP directory.

Although it might not be necessary now (we're still running 6.0), at the time we had to disable Sympa's ldap-to-list synchronizations. Instead, we went with the following list update model:

1) Updates are made to list members stored in Sympa's databases when any changes to an LDAP group are made.

The update is initiated by the groups web interface that was developed to manage the LDAP groups; the interface remotely calls a script (ssh) on the list server which was an adaption of Sympa's "reload_list_config" function

2) Updates are made to list members ... when an email message is posted to a mailing list.

Instead of doing this, we could have just had a replica LDAP directory dedicated to our list server, but then there might still be latency between the time a group is updated and the time that Sympa synchronizes the lists. We had a requirement to provide real-time updates between LDAP group membership and list membership.

We also have basic mailing list configuration settings stored in the LDAP directory. This was done to simplify the list configuration management. We used Sympa's ability to extend the list-family and retrieved and translated the list settings stored in the LDAP directory into Sympa's list config settings when a list is updated. All list configuration in Sympa's web interface were disabled. Although setting this up was complicated and required a lot of work upfront, it has greatly reduced the complexity to the users who can self-provision their own mailing lists.

We now have almost 6000 mailing lists and growing. All of which are associated with groups that are also used for other purposes, primarily authentication of other applications also integrated with LDAP.

Thomas