en - Re: [sympa-users] Sympa as Groups Management Tool

  • From: Victoriano Giralt <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Sympa as Groups Management Tool
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 19:24:00 +0200

Eileen Roach escribió:
| We are considering using Sympa for our campus Identity Infrastructure
| Groups Management tool -- so for groups other than mailing lists too.
| Are there other campus's doing the same? And if so, any pros/cons that
| we should consider?

Hi Eileen, I've been toying with such an idea for some time, as it seems
really natural to form groups around mailing lists:

+ The invitation system is tested in the wild and works (most of the time)
+ People are more or less accustomed to the group feeling a list gives
+ With Sympa group members can come from several "inside" sources as well
as from the outside.

So this seems like all pros :)

On the other hand a group can be seen as something richer than just
belonging to a list of subscribers. People in groups can have roles, even
several of them. I reckon that lists also have roles, three of them in
Sympa: owner, moderator/editor and subscriber and that you can use, so to
say, "role lists", if you are in a given list you belong to a role, but
them, how do you map that to a given group, for example, a class. This
takes you into list combinatorial explosion territory.

I'm working on a plugin for MoinMoin Python wiki that will use Sympa lists
both for access control and for wiki farms (thanks to Sympa SOPA
interface): one list -> one wiki, list role -> wiki group, bound through
SAML asserions to the identity of the user in both systems.

But there are situations where you need richer groups with richer role sets
and then, you need a dedicated group manager, lightweight (<shameless plug>
~ like the work done by some of my colleagues[1][2]</shameless plug>) or
Grouper sized[3].

| Thanks in advance,
You are welcome.

[1]http://www.eunis.ie/abstracts/OAuth2Lib_JoseAlfonsoAccino-ElenaLozano_Abstract.pdf