en - [sympa-users] Updating Sympa, do I need to become an expert?

  • From: "Mail Administrator, Otto J. Makela" <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Updating Sympa, do I need to become an expert?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 16:08:48 +0200

I have a couple of old Sympa 4.0.a1 installations that desperately need
upgrading, with about a hundred lists each. I've tried following the
installation instructions for the new Sympa versions and was able to
create a blank working installation.

However, I found that updating (since I really don't want to GUI in all the
information for the mailing lists) seems to be a quite a lot trickier affair.

I tried restoring a full dump of the old database and then running the update
script on it, before I realized that (at least on the older Sympa), the actual
mailing lists do not seem to be a part of this database. So, where are they,
and why?

I'm sure all this is documented somewhere, but I haven't been able to figure
out where. Unfortunately, I am really too lazy to become an expert on the
internal workings of Sympa, but is it inevitable?

--
address@concealed (Mail Administrator, Otto J. Makela)