en - Re: [sympa-users] Redundancy and Failover

  • From: Miles Fidelman <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Redundancy and Failover
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 08:09:09 -0400

We're looking to improve the availability of our Sympa system
here at Duke, to hopefully prevent the risk of having a single
point of failure as we do now, with one machine on one network in
one data center running the service. It looks like running a
hot/cold failover system would be simple enough, with a load
balancer routing mail appropriately and each system being aware
of all the lists. I don't know how well archives would work with
such a setup, though, unless we were doing some sort of shared
storage (e.g. NFS), which introduces its own set of problems.

What we do is run our mail system, including sympa, as a virtual image (xen); use DRBD to mirror the disk to a 2nd machine at the block level, and Pacemaker to do autofailover of the image. Works like a charm.

The virtualization part isn't essential - for what you're doing, mirroring a disk partition with DRBD and using pacemaker for auto-failover would work just fine.

Miles Fidelman

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra