en - Re: [sympa-users] Redundancy for sympa

  • From: Serge Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: Malcolm Waltz <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Warren Anderson <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Redundancy for sympa
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 08:29:49 +0200

Le 8/26/10 12:11 AM, Malcolm Waltz a écrit :
Hi Warren,

Here at University of the Pacific, we are running Sympa on Solaris 10
on-top of VMWare ESX 4.0 with vMotion enabled. Disk images are stored
on a NetApp filer using FibreChannel, though we are migrating to NFS and
iSCSI over 10GB Ethernet. We have an off-site ESX host that can be used
with vMotion, once we have another NetApp set up for replication. As
Miles Fidelman put it, this is a "brute force approach." I wouldn't
call it simple or cheap though. It also doesn't protect you from an OS
level fault or give you the ability to do maintenance without downtime.

I would much prefer to do clustering at the application level. I
believe I remember seeing some discussion of this on the "sympa-beta"
list during the development of Sympa 6.0. I believe some of the
features added in Sympa 6.0 were intended to bring it closer to being
clusterable, though still a ways from achieving that goal.
You are true. We known that the infrastructure with high disponibility of storage, database and host is a solutioon for high disponibility of a service such as Sympa. How ever, we are working on a new internal architecture that allow clustering with load balancing at the application level. Current step is to move all spools to database (going to the last step of this document http://www.sympa.org/manual_6.0/server_architecture_for_big_services ).

The job will continue for list config etc.

Serge