en - RE: [sympa-users] Redundancy for sympa

  • From: "Malcolm Waltz" <address@concealed>
  • To: "Warren Anderson" <address@concealed>, <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Redundancy for sympa
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 15:11:19 -0700

Hi Warren,

Here at University of the Pacific, we are running Sympa on Solaris 10
on-top of VMWare ESX 4.0 with vMotion enabled. Disk images are stored
on a NetApp filer using FibreChannel, though we are migrating to NFS and
iSCSI over 10GB Ethernet. We have an off-site ESX host that can be used
with vMotion, once we have another NetApp set up for replication. As
Miles Fidelman put it, this is a "brute force approach." I wouldn't
call it simple or cheap though. It also doesn't protect you from an OS
level fault or give you the ability to do maintenance without downtime.

I would much prefer to do clustering at the application level. I
believe I remember seeing some discussion of this on the "sympa-beta"
list during the development of Sympa 6.0. I believe some of the
features added in Sympa 6.0 were intended to bring it closer to being
clusterable, though still a ways from achieving that goal.

Malcolm Waltz
Unix Systems Administrator III
Office of Information Technology
University of the Pacific