en - Re: [sympa-users] [Fwd: WARNING: bounce rate too high in list su-xxx]

  • From: Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] [Fwd: WARNING: bounce rate too high in list su-xxx]
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 14:55:36 +0200

Hi,

A common reason for Google refuse all messages from one domain is wild
forwarding.

E.g., if some of your students use gmail to manage their email, and they forward to google all messages from their sabanciuniv.edu email accounts without any previous filtering, you'll just find your mailserver sending spams to google. After some amount of spam, google just blacklists your mailserver for some time.

Well, this is a possible cause. There may be others. And these reasons may not be related to your list server.

So, before trying to tweak sympa to not send these normal warnings, you should try to identify what kind of messages are being considered as spam by google, and act there.

My 2 cents.

José-Marcio

David Verdin wrote:
Hi,

I'm not sure I'm getting it right. Does Google consider legitimate mailing lists message as spam or is your mail server used to send spam?

In the first case, then Google has a problem.
In the second case, you really need to make some cleanup in your lists if you don't want to have your server blacklisted.

I can help you if Google feels a little tickled by Sympa. Is is possible that the sending rate of Sympa is just to important. some mail servers refuse to accept too much SMTP session in a row. Some just will greylist the session and wait ofr your server to coma back later, but other will directly reject your session.
You can tweak the number of sessions for a given domain using the nrcpt_by_domain.conf file: https://www.sympa.org/manual/antispam#nrcpt_by_domainconf

If, even after this they still consider your messages as spam, then you should contact a mail admin at gmail to understand what happens there and tell them you don't send spam.

I'm afraid what you just did yet won't be very helpful. Basically, you just ordered Sympa to do nothing about bounces. That means you will never cleanup invalid emails a end up sending tons of emails to addresses who just don't exist. A waste of ressources if you ask me.
The warnings to owners are here for a reason: They tell owners that a lot of their messages don't reach their destination. As it is not triggered before a very high percentage of addresses are in error, then it means that this list has a problem: most of the messages don't make it to the person they are supposed to reach.

If your errors cam from a misconfiguration/misunderstanding with google and you want want to erase them, you can. Just go to the bounces page once you're clear with Google and erase the errors. But if some addresses are wrong, the errors will come back.

A listmaster has a server to run. She just can't take care of every boucing subscriber address. You would just spend all your time doing it. And owners can't spend all their time checking that their subscribers addresses are valid. That's the reasons why there is an automatic bounces process. Use it. It's a tool.

Don't use it and you're officially doomed.

Regards,

David