en - Re: [sympa-users] Complete Sympa/Postfix integration with automated

  • From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <address@concealed>
  • To: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Christian Dahlhausen <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Complete Sympa/Postfix integration with automated
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:29:50 -0800

It always surprises me these days when I hear of software being built specifically for compatibility with Sendmail, or sites setting up new Sendmail servers. Not because of any distrust about Sendmail's security -- I don't think it's significantly worse than any other common MTA -- and not because of any lack of confidence in the developers -- I'm a former employee of Sendmail, Inc.

No, it surprises me because of the slow decline of Sendmail's market share, and the rise of Postfix and Exim. Sendmail is still likely to be the leader, but with common Linux distros and other Unix versions either deprecating it or dropping it altogether, I'm surprised to see people starting with it.

That, and the fact that even coding m4, let alone cf files, makes me run screaming.

My other point, though, is this: once integration working code is contributed and observed to work in the wild, many other open source projects accept that code into the mainstream, knowing that it will be tested in the normal release process.  I'd think you'd do the same with MTA integrations.