en - Re: [sympa-users] UTF-8, MIME-encoded To: headers

  • From: Olivier Salaün <address@concealed>
  • To: Jeff Abbott <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] UTF-8, MIME-encoded To: headers
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 16:20:30 +0200

Hi Jeff,

That seems to be a bug indeed.
Please submit a bug report on <https://sourcesup.cru.fr/tracker/?group_id=23> and provide enough elements so that we can reproduce the phenomena (including what kind of sympa message/notice you triggered).

Jeff Abbott a écrit :
Sympa community,

I've noticed something confusing with our Sympa instance here at Duke, and I was wondering if anyone else had seen this quirk and/or had some suggestions of where to look for solutions.

We've got a large number of listmasters, and when messages were being sent by Sympa to each of them individually -- as opposed to the listmaster address by itself -- it was causing problems with the To: header. Specifically, the mime encoding method MIME::EncWords::encode_mimewords (roundabout line 181 in mail.pm in Sympa 5.4.7) was converting a list of addresses from:

address@concealed,address@concealed,address@concealed,address@concealed,address@concealed

to:

=?address@concealed,

=?address@concealed,
=?address@concealed

(I was using my address multiple times on our test instance to avoid bothering our other listmasters.) Further investigation led me to find that it's the length of the listmaster setting in sympa.conf that was making it encode the addresses this way. If the line is 86 characters or less (including "listmaster " at the start) then it'll work fine. If it's 87 or more characters, it'll get encoded as above. It doesn't impact the actual delivery of these messages -- the envelope recipients are fine -- so it only affects the appearance in mail clients.

I tried it with the stock list_created.tt2 template and I saw the same thing, so it's not our customized templates that we're using (so far as I can tell). Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff