en - Re: [sympa-users] running sympa 6 in conjunction with sympa 5

  • From: Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz <address@concealed>
  • To: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Philip Crandall <address@concealed>, "'address@concealed'" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] running sympa 6 in conjunction with sympa 5
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 11:24:19 +0200

Hi,

David Verdin wrote:
Hi Philip,

That's what we think too. exactly. Hurdles included... ;)
I'm specifically interested in:

Sympa migration is not really complicated but surely critical...

How do you manage aliases?
You could define aliases using version 6 for some lists and leave the other aliases alone.

That's an interesting point. Usually, a mailing list server needs much more outgoing MTAs than ingoing MTAs (the number of outgoing messages is much bigger than the number of ingoing messages). So, probably, you can have a single ingoing MTA, with a single aliases file. Well, I don't know how this was done in Sympa 6.

I'd really like to allow some of our more experienced users to use the new
version for a variety of reasons (to get support personnel familiar with the
new version, to offer new features to those who just can't wait, etc.), but
I certainly can't convert our entire production instance to Sympa 6 during a
beta release. I'd very much like to take part in the beta testing and would
appreciate any advice on how to make that happen.

IMHO, the way we've allways done here to migrate sympa, is to create a copy of
the production server on another "pre-production" server, or just a test machine. This way, you can do near all static tests (databases, web interface, authentication, distribution to a test list, ...) to validate it. We've done this last month to migrate from Sympa 5.3.3 running under FreeBSD 6.1 to Sympa 5.4.7 under Solaris 10, and it worked fine. Surely, not all things can be validated this way, but most yes.

Roughly speaking, this migration is :
* rsync /home/sympa from one machine to the other
* dump sympa database (mysqldump) on the first machine and integrate it on
the other
* get, configure, compile, install sympa on the new machine overwriting the
older
one
* install and configure apache in the new machine the same way as in the old
one.

Take care with sympa spool when syncing /home sympa, so existing messages won't be distributed twice.

Play with the new sympa. When things are fine, stop the old installation, resync everything again and just start up the new sympa.

This is how we will probably do.

Regards,

Jose-Marcio

Jose Marcio MARTINS DA CRUZ http://j-chkmail.ensmp.fr
Ecole des Mines de Paris
60, bd Saint Michel 75272 - PARIS CEDEX 06
mailto:address@concealed