en - Re: [sympa-users] running sympa 6 in conjunction with sympa 5

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: Philip Crandall <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "'address@concealed'" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] running sympa 6 in conjunction with sympa 5
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 10:35:44 +0200

Hi Philip,

Philip Crandall a écrit :
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone is, or is planning to, running (run) Sympa 6
alongside Sympa 5. I have a vague idea that this could work, but there are
certainly hurdles.
That's what we think too. exactly. Hurdles included... ;)
I'm specifically interested in:

How do you manage aliases?
You could define aliases using version 6 for some lists and leave the other aliases alone.
Do you use the smtp parameter in both
installations to check for aliases?
I don't know of a Sympa prameter called 'smtp'. could you be more precise, please?
How do you manage the database side of things?

Well, actually, the version 6 *adds* three tables in the database. The other parts of the database are not affected. So I guess two different Sympa can use the database simultaneously without any collision.
Do you simply point the web UI to different locations?
You could define a script alias using the new version. For example:

ScriptAlias /sympa-6 /home/sympa/usr/sympa/lib/wwsympa-wrapper.fcgi

I'd really like to allow some of our more experienced users to use the new
version for a variety of reasons (to get support personnel familiar with the
new version, to offer new features to those who just can't wait, etc.), but
I certainly can't convert our entire production instance to Sympa 6 during a
beta release. I'd very much like to take part in the beta testing and would
appreciate any advice on how to make that happen.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

David

Cheers,