en - [sympa-users] optional encryption?

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] optional encryption?
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 19:01:14 -0700

We've got somebody who wants to start using S/MIME encryption, but the process of obtaining personal certificates is too complex to expect all of their users to manage it. Under the current scheme, those users will only receive a message about "This message was sent encrypted and we don't have your key", instead of the actual content. They would like to have an option of selecting opportunistic or "if possible" encryption, where users whose keys have been collected by Sympa will receive the message re-encrypted, while everyone else will receive it in plaintext.

Is there any interest from Sympa in providing that kind of choice? I can see why it might violate rules about distributing in plaintext some data that somebody thought needed to be encrypted, but if it's a deliberate choice by the list owner, would it be acceptable? And technically, would it be easy to alter the code? I think so, but I wonder if I'm wrong about that.

Thanks!
adam