en - [sympa-users] 6.0 roadmap

  • From: Serge Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Philip Crandall <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] 6.0 roadmap
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 11:21:58 +0200

Roger B.A. Klorese ask about V6.0 timeframe and the feature set planned.

It is not yet completly decided but V6 will include :

-1 a new password managment where password are stored as fingerprint. This change is for beter security but remind password is now replaced by email chalenge including a ticket number for authentication. Password are not any more viewed anywhere is Sympa. This is done, you can see it on http://demo.sympa.org or http://listes.cru.fr
-2 custom rejection templates . Done but not yet in our production server
-3 change email feature : a new form that allow a user to change his email everywhere in sympa. Listmaster can do it for anu user. Done but not yet in our production server.
-4 new bulk mailer
-4.1 : replace distribute.pl deamon with a demon "bulk.pl" that does not use files but database for spool. This include important changes in sympa.pl. bulk.pl does not need to share any file with Sympa. You can run several bulk.lp on several servers for hugue services. Done but not yet in our production server.
-4.2 : replace all spools by database tables. This will make more easy to run sympa.pl on multiple servers. They will just need to share some config files, but they will shared spools using database. This is an important step in direction of moving all configs to database for cluster installation. Item 4.2 is to be done.

Item 1 is finished. Item 2 and 3 needs to be validated on our production server this will be easy. There are also a lot of other smalls changes. Item 4.1 and 4.2 are more important. We need to run item 4.1 on our production server before to start item 4.2. It is not yet decided if we will include 4.2 in version 6.0.

The automatic upgrade process needs also some work before to release all thoses changes.

If we decide to include item 4.2 into version 6.0 , we will announce the stable version in june ; this suppose alpha version by the end of 2008 and beta in march. (We plans to organise a Sympa meeting in Paris (with english speackers) by the end of june, we want Sympa 6.0 to be distributed before it).

Serge Aumont