en - Re: [sympa-users] Sending mail personally

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Sending mail personally
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:42:39 -0400 (EDT)

It would mean customizing the message for each recipient, and Sympa doesn't do that.

Indeed, that is not a traditional mailing list function.
When we send out a message to all students, or a specific
group of students, we want the students to understand we are
addressing them as a group, so the "To:" address being the
list address is appropriate.

When sending mail to students as individuals, then the "To:"
should indeed be the student's own e-mail address. But in
this case, the software being used would generically be
called a "mail merge" program. There are some systems, like
Lyris, which call themselves "List Mangers" but what they
really are is an e-mail marketing system or e-mail campaign
management system.

...BC

--
| Bill Costa | No good
| 1 Leavitt Lane Voice: | deed...
| CIS/Telecom -- 2nd Floor +1-603-862-3056 |
+---------------[ http://pubpages.unh.edu/~wfc/ ]--+