en - Re: [sympa-users] Question on subscribe.auth

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: "Allen, Pat" <address@concealed>
  • Cc: sympa-users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Question on subscribe.auth
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 14:47:51 +0200

Hi Pat,

A quick answer:

If you look at the scenario, you will see that it has actually the following structure:

title.gettext subscription request confirmed

is_subscriber([listname],[sender]) smtp,smime -> do_it
true() smtp -> request_auth
true() md5,smime -> do_it

We will soon remove the first line which is actually useless, this problem being handled in the code.
You can see that, if the authentification is done through smtp, an authentication request is sent. that means that this rule is applied when the subscription request is done by email only.
Indeed, when a user is logged in the web interface, (s)he is authenticated by md5 or smime method.
Consequently, the second rule is ignored and the third is verified, in a web context. which makes sense, because authentication request just asks the user to reply to a mail, which is considered to be done already in a web context: (s)he is authenticated already, otherwise (s)he could not try to subscribe through the web interface.

This was far from clear in the doc, so I just modified it. Please refer to the following page to fully understand the authentication methods in scenarios:
https://www.sympa.org/manual/authorization-scenarios#authentification_methods

More generally, the doc about scenario reaches probably the lowest ratio (usefulness / doc quality) in the whole Sympa documentation, so we will rewrite it very soon.

Regards,

Allen, Pat a écrit :

Good afternoon!

I’m a little confused about the subscribe scenari. I have created a new list and set the subscribe option to “auth”. I then logged in as another test user on a remote computer and tried to subscribe to the list. I clicked on subscribe and it gave me the “Do you really want to subscribe” dialogue box. Then I expected it to send a confirmation email to the user as described in request_auth.tt2. But what happened was that it went ahead with the subscription and the user received the welcome message to the list. What happened?

We’re running 5.3.4. and the only customized subscribe scenari that I have is for the intranet. I saw David’s email earlier about turning up logging via the “log level” section of the “Sympa admin” page and I wanted to do that to see if there was more information I could get but I can’t find that functionality.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Pat

/Pat Allen (address@concealed <mailto:address@concealed> & http://www.mbari.org/staff/pat) <http://www.mbari.org/staff/pat%29>
Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI)
7700 Sandholdt Rd, Moss Landing, CA 95039
(voice) 831-775-1724; (fax) 831-775-1620/

--
David Verdin
Comité réseau des universités

  • Re: [sympa-users] Question on subscribe.auth, David Verdin, 04/02/2008