en - Re: [sympa-users] custom user attributes

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] custom user attributes
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:01:07 +0200

Hi, Janusz!

Janusz S. Bień wrote :
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 David Verdin <address@concealed> wrote:

[...]

* *Custom user attributes*. This contribution from /A.de Bignicourt/
(UREC/CNRS) allows the use of per list custom user attributes.
Once the format of the attributes has been defined by the list
owner, a form will be presented to new list members on the
subscription web page. These custom attributes are either optional
or mandatory. The list owner will then see the provided user
information while taking the subscription decision. Custom
attributes can later be viewed from the review page and
editsubscriber page. Custom attributes are stored in a dedicated
field of the subscriber_table DB table, as XML data. See
documentation
<https://www.sympa.org/manual/customizing#custom_user_attributes>.

So they can be set only by users? What about importing them from some
external source?

For a family of lists for our faculty I would need such attributes as
title, position, membership in the faculty council etc., but I would
like to use some of them in authorization scenarios. Moreover, I can
reliably import those data from a central system, so there is no need
to annoy subscribers with a long questionnaire.

Is it possible to create such setup with Sympa 5.4? I'm afraid it is
not...
And you're right. Custom attributes, as they are designed FOR NOW are just informations that can be defined by users.
I wrote "for now", because importing these attributes from external data sources seems to be the logical next step. Actually, I'm almost surprised it took as long as four days after the release before the question is asked. ;)
This is on our main "todo" list for the 5.5 and we are still in the process of designing them.
In the meantime, you can still experiment these attributes with user-provided informations.

Regards,
Best regards

Janusz

--