en - Re: [sympa-users] Bouncers not recieving a bounce score

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: Bret Baptist <address@concealed>
  • Cc: sympa-users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Bouncers not recieving a bounce score
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:21:11 +0200

Oooooookay... It's the score, not the bouncing status, you're interested in. Sorry for being slow. ;)

A little word about bounces management:

When a subscriber bounces, each bouncing message coming back increases her/his bounce *count*. That value, along with the nature of the bounce, *can* be used to calculate a bouncing *score*. Indeed, bouncing is not a permanent state and it could be unfair, for example, to let people whose email infrastructure would be down during two days (bad luck) with a high score of bounce forever.
Consequently, the bouncing score is evaluated only when some conditions are reached as you can see in:
http://www.sympa.org/wiki/manual/bounces#bounce_management
Additionnaly, bouncing status is cancelled for people who didn't bounce for a certain period of time.

The score remains to zero as long as (citation):

*
The number of received bounces is lower than |minimum_bouncing_count|.
*
The bouncing period is shorter than |minimum_bouncing_period|.

Note that |minimum_bouncing_period| is compared to the list traffic (number of messages in the period) to reevaluate the number of bounces (10 bounces in a list with 200 messages a week is not as bad as 1 bounce in a list with one message a week).

The way the bouncing score is calculated in Sympa is not customizable.

Conclusion: a bounce score of zero means that we received bounces from a person but that, according to Sympa settings and the traffic of the list, the number of bounces is not high enough to trigger bounce score evaluation.
If you want bouncers to be removed quickly, you can only tweak the two parameters that control bounce score evaluation. Aren't you afraid to remove people with temporary errors only, though ?

What we will do (soon) is add some informations in the bounce report array in the web interface. This way, people will see that, even with a score of zero, bouncing status is still taken into account.

Regards,