en - [sympa-users] Re: Re: Performance and large lists!

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: Liam Kirsher <address@concealed>
  • Cc: sympa-users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: Re: Performance and large lists!
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:37:44 +0200

Hi,

Liam Kirsher a écrit :
Maybe this was a bit vague, but I would like to know a bit more about
how Sympa handles large lists!

## Maximum number of recipients per call to Sendmail
nrcpt 25
## Max. number of different domains per call to Sendmail
avg 10
## Max. number of Sendmail processes (launched by Sympa) running
simultaneously
## Proposed value is quite low, you can rise it up to 100, 200 or even
300 with powerfull systems.
maxsmtp 100

What kind of throughput should I expect with that hardware and those
settings? Is there some documentation on tweaking these values for best
performance?
Not in the Sympa site. I'm afraid.
Do you think it would be useful to have a page where people could indicate the best values they found out for their installation? It could contain a simple array with fields such as :
- server hardware
- Sympa version
- MTA
- nrcpt value
- avg value
- maxsmtp value
- distribution_mode value
- number of lists in the server
- max number of subscribers for one list

This page could be hosted in our wiki, so that it is easy to keep it up-to-date.

Note that avg determines actually the max number of addresses for each domain in a call to the MTA. This is intended to prevent being considered a spammer.
nrcpt relevant value depends on the MTA you're using. It won't have a value over 40 with sendmail, because sendmail will start working as soon as it is called. It can be much larger for postfix which uses a spool.
As for the max number of processes: it all depends on your system's preformaces. If you reach the max number of processes often and for a long time, you can try increasing it and see if your machine handles it well. Please note that tweaking the lists' priorities can help, too. Indeed, when Sympa checks a spool for messages to distribute, it will first distribute the messages for lists with the lowest value for parameter "priority".

As a side note, there is this faq about evaluating performances in WWSympa :
http://www.sympa.org/wiki/faq/performances

I can write a page about the various parameters and mechanisms involved in mail distribution optimization in Sympa.
Also, how exactly does Sympa deal with that many messages?
If, for some
reason, it were interrupted would it be able to continue where it left off?
Not yet. This is something we are working on, but the exact means of doing it is still debated.
For now, Sympa won't stop distributing until the message has been sent to all the message recipients.

Near future works will be to allow Sympa to restart working where it left when interrupted and also, probably, to allow nightly distribution of messages for a given list, which involves introducing fixed time (instead of fixed time interval) tasks in the task manager.

Regards,
Thanks in advance for shedding some light on this for me!

Liam

Liam Kirsher wrote:
Hi --

I wasn't able to find any performance statistics, so maybe someone can
give me a general idea...

I'm running Sympa 5.3.b4 on an older RedHat 8.0 system. A small number
of relatively small (<2000 subscriber) lists. The server has two 650MHz
CPU's and 899M memory. (I have a new server I'm installing which is
more robust, but that won't happen for another month.)

Currently, the server is not very busy. I have a celebrity client with
a mailing list of about 80,000 addresses.
Will that server be able to handle a list of 80,000 addresses?

I'm a little unclear on how the emails are delivered to the MTA. They
are batched, so that the MTA (postfix, in this case) doesn't try to
deliver them all at once, right?

I'm also running dkim, which requires some resources, as well. (And on
the receiving end, Amavisd, SpamAssassin, ClamAV.)

Another question -- what are commercial services that provide this kind
of service? I want to charge a fair market price for running this for them.

Best,
Liam

--
David Verdin