en - [sympa-users] Performance and large lists

  • From: Liam Kirsher <address@concealed>
  • To: sympa-users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Performance and large lists
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 01:50:06 -0700

Hi --

I wasn't able to find any performance statistics, so maybe someone can
give me a general idea...

I'm running Sympa 5.3.b4 on an older RedHat 8.0 system. A small number
of relatively small (<2000 subscriber) lists. The server has two 650MHz
CPU's and 899M memory. (I have a new server I'm installing which is
more robust, but that won't happen for another month.)

Currently, the server is not very busy. I have a celebrity client with
a mailing list of about 80,000 addresses.

Will that server be able to handle a list of 80,000 addresses?

I'm a little unclear on how the emails are delivered to the MTA. They
are batched, so that the MTA (postfix, in this case) doesn't try to
deliver them all at once, right?

I'm also running dkim, which requires some resources, as well. (And on
the receiving end, Amavisd, SpamAssassin, ClamAV.)

Another question -- what are commercial services that provide this kind
of service? I want to charge a fair market price for running this for them.

Best,
Liam

--
Liam Kirsher