en - [sympa-users] Re: Re: Spam still crashes Sympa on Message.pm:89

  • From: Olivier Salaün <address@concealed>
  • Cc: sympa-users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: Re: Spam still crashes Sympa on Message.pm:89
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:29:25 +0200

Liam,

Given the error message your get, it seems that the call to Mail::Address->parse() makes Sympa process die.
Could you please tell us what version of MailTools you are using?

You will probably need to upgrade (or downgrade) MailTools...

Liam Kirsher a écrit :
I'm using version 5.3b.4.

It's easy for me to duplicate the problem -- just place a message with
non-printing characters in the From: field into the spool/msg directory.
But, I'm not sure where to go from here, since my test seems to rule out
a problem with the address parsing provided by the MailTools package.

David Verdin wrote:
Liam,

I can't reproduce your problem neither with my version (development
version) nor with the latest stable version of 5.3 branch.

What version do you use ?

Regards,

Liam Kirsher a écrit :
Hi --

I am *still* having the problem that certain spam messages cause Sympa
to crash.

In /home/sympa/spool/tmp I see messages like this:
Unrecognised line: address@concealed> at /home/sympa/bin/Message.pm
line 89

When I find the message with that email address in
/home/sympa/spool/msg, it invariably contains bad characters in the From
field:
From: ������ <address@concealed>

In order to get Sympa to run, I have to remove the bad file(s) from the
msg directory. Then I can restart it manually and it processes the
remaining messages.
In the meantime, however, ALL messages for ALL lists are stuck!
I tried to replicate the problem with a simple Perl program, but was
unable to. It seems to work fine if I try to parse the message
directly, which is puzzling.
http://www.numenet.com/sympa-err/spool/msg
Contains some example bad messages and the test program.

So, what could be different between the test program and running Sympa?

Liam

P.S. I had tried rejecting the spam using a scenario, but apparently
Sympa is going to need to parse the message first anyway, to check for
the X-Spam-Flag header, so that isn't going to work.