en - [sympa-users] solved (was: Re: attachment in archive problem - a novice question)

  • From: address@concealed (Janusz S. Bień)
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] solved (was: Re: attachment in archive problem - a novice question)
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:04:25 +0200

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 address@concealed wrote:

> Janusz S. Bien' wrote:
>> I'm unable to download the attachment
>>

>> https://steel.klf.uw.edu.pl/wws/arc/hotline-test/2007-09/msg00003/application-latex.tex
>>
>> in the message
>>
>> https://steel.klf.uw.edu.pl/wws/arc/hotline-test/2007-09/msg00003.html/
>>
> I acan see the problem. I can get the tex attachement without roubles
> from my firefox starting from the message url.

Me too. I was confused by a bug in (an old version) of Galeon which is
unable to download the attachment even when I'm logged in. I've forgot
to make tests with other browsers. I've assumed wrongly that wget will
provide a more reliable test.

> But using wget that do
> not manage cookies return the main page and a form "I am not a spammer"
> which is a protection agains email sniffer bots.
> Not really a problem but in conjunction with urlize, it may be consusing
> for the users. Anyone has a suggestion ?

Perhaps the Wget options `load-cookies' and/or `save-cookies' are
sufficient for the purpose of e.g. downloading a really big attachment
from a slow site:

--load-cookies file
Load cookies from file before the first HTTP retrieval.
file is a textual file in the format originally used by
Netscape's cookies.txt file.

You will typically use this option when mirroring sites
that require that you be logged in to access some or all
of their content. The login process typically works by
the web server issuing an HTTP cookie upon receiving and
verifying your credentials. The cookie is then resent
by the browser when accessing that part of the site, and
so proves your identity.

[...]

If you cannot use --load-cookies, there might still be
an alternative. If your browser supports a ``cookie
manager'', you can use it to view the cookies used when
accessing the site you're mirroring. Write down the
name and value of the cookie, and manually instruct Wget
to send those cookies, bypassing the ``official'' cookie
support:

wget --cookies=off --header "Cookie: <name>=<value>"

--save-cookies file
Save cookies to file at the end of session. Cookies
whose expiry time is not specified, or those that have
already expired, are not saved.

I will try this some time in the future.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards

Janusz

P.S. I've discovered this problem testing urlize, which doesn't work
for me. I will start a new thread about soon.

--
,
dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW - Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra