en - [sympa-users] Re: Re: Re: S/MIME - a novice question

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: Re: Re: S/MIME - a novice question
  • Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 11:51:12 +0200

Janusz S. Bien' wrote:
On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 address@concealed wrote:

[...]

Sympa should accept S/MIME signed message as authenticated message
(ie without email chalenge) if the signature is recognized as
valid. The signature is valid if the message was not modified and if
the reciepient trust the signer certificate. The recipient trust a
certificate if is known for that or if is issued by an authority
which is trusted. The list of trusted certificate authority is a
parameter of sympa.conf.

Thank you very much for your answer.

As I use the self-signed certificate, I've converted my certificate
from PEM to ca-bundle format with a script found with Google at

http://www.patandkat.com/pat/weblog/archives/computers/

Then I appended the result to /usr/share/sympa/ca-bundle.crt (ca parameter
in /etc/sympa/sympa.conf) and now my signed messages are accepted
without md5 confirmation.

So it works, but have I done it in the optimal way?
Huuum... You probably need to read a lot of documentation about PKI. PKI is the way to manage many certificates all around during their lifetime. Selfsigned certificate can help but using them will create a lot problems that PKI try to solve.

This is outside the scoop of Sympa itself but concern cryptology and PKI.

Serge Aumont