en - [sympa-users] Re: Re: S/MIME - a novice question

  • From: address@concealed (Janusz S. Bień)
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: Re: S/MIME - a novice question
  • Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 10:52:20 +0200

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 address@concealed wrote:

[...]

> Sympa should accept S/MIME signed message as authenticated message
> (ie without email chalenge) if the signature is recognized as
> valid. The signature is valid if the message was not modified and if
> the reciepient trust the signer certificate. The recipient trust a
> certificate if is known for that or if is issued by an authority
> which is trusted. The list of trusted certificate authority is a
> parameter of sympa.conf.

Thank you very much for your answer.

As I use the self-signed certificate, I've converted my certificate
from PEM to ca-bundle format with a script found with Google at

http://www.patandkat.com/pat/weblog/archives/computers/

Then I appended the result to /usr/share/sympa/ca-bundle.crt (ca parameter
in /etc/sympa/sympa.conf) and now my signed messages are accepted
without md5 confirmation.

So it works, but have I done it in the optimal way?

In particular, what do you mean in the fragment quoted above by 'if is
known for that'?

> The reason why didn't store the sender certificat in its cache directory
> is probably the same as the reason why it did not recognize the message.

Now the certificate is in the cache.

> Check https://www.sympa.org/wiki/manual/x509

I've read the text several times, but for a novice like me it is too
concise.

Thanks once again for your help!

Best regards

Janusz

--
,
dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW - Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra