en - [sympa-users] Re: S/MIME - a novice question

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: S/MIME - a novice question
  • Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 08:29:30 +0200

Janusz S. Bien' wrote:
I've sent to Sympa a S/MIME signed message to a list using the
publickey scenario:

http://steel.klf.uw.edu.pl/wws/arc/hotline-test/2007-08/msg00002.html

It is the first signed message, so it was natural that it required the
confirmation by mail.

On the basis of
http://www.sympa.org/wiki/manual/x509

User certificates are automatically caught by Sympa when
receiving a signed S/MIME messsage,

Certificates are stored as PEM files in the
/home/sympa/expl/X509-user-certs/ directory

I expected to find my certificate in the appropriate directory, which
in Debian is /var/lib/sympa/x509-user-certs, but the directory is
empty.

What went wrong?
Sympa should accept S/MIME signed message as authenticated message (ie without email chalenge) if the signature is recognized as valid. The signature is valid if the message was not modified and if the reciepient trust the signer certificate. The recipient trust a certificate if is known for that or if is issued by an authority which is trusted. The list of trusted certificate authority is a parameter of sympa.conf.

The reason why didn't store the sender certificat in its cache directory is probably the same as the reason why it did not recognize the message.

Check https://www.sympa.org/wiki/manual/x509