en - [sympa-users] Re: permissions on archives

  • From: Cefiar <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: permissions on archives
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 00:47:11 +1000

On Monday 06 August 2007 19:02:17 Riccardo Veraldi wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like users subscribed to lista being able
> to read the archives of listb even if they are not
> subscribed to listb.
> Is this possible in some way ?

This is quite possible by creating a custom scenari for archive access.

First off, the section of the manual that describes how an authorization
scenari works can be found at:

http://www.sympa.org/documentation/manual/doc-5.2.3/html/node14.html#scenarios

Basically, the scenari files control what can and can't be done for a
particular function.

So for example (And the files may be different from my example, as I've only
got a really old version of sympa here, but the princible is the same....)...

The file: access_web_archive.private

Contains the following line:

is_subscriber([listname],[sender]) md5,smime -> do_it

This means that if the sender ([sender]) is a member of the current list
([listname]) then allow them access (do_it).

But there is no reason these values need to be dynamic. You can specify a
static name for listname, by adding a line like:

is_subscriber('lista',[sender]) md5,smime -> do_it

This will allow anyone if they're on the list named 'lista' (minus quotes).
The quotes ARE necessary in the scenari line (around the list name), to tell
sympa that you're passing it a string, and not something else. The lines in a
scenari file are processed in order, so if the user gets ruled out by an
earlier comment, your rule won't apply.

Now, the other thing is that you don't really want to edit the default
scenari, so make a copy of the one that closest needs your needs, and give it
a new name. Every before the . in the name MUST stay the same (otherwise it
won't apply to the function you want), so change the biut after the dot. I
recommend using something that reminds you of the functionality you've added.
eg: access_web_archive.privormember

Lastly, remember to put this in your robot's scenari directory, and NOT the
default one. This way, if you upgrade, you won't accidently wipe out your
changes and break your setup.

Scenari are really powerful, and fairly easy to understand once you get the
hang of it.

--
Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - address@concealed