en - [sympa-users] Problems moving lists to new server

  • From: "Defryn, Guy" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Problems moving lists to new server
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:10:10 +1200

Hi,

I am having problems moving my lists between sympa servers.
I have followed the steps outlined at bottom of this email (as found in the
manual).

When I log into Sympa none of the lists appears on the new server.
The old server is V5.2.2 and the new one v5.3.2
I have restarted all the services multiple times.
The new server was functioning correctly after the initial install.
It was able to do what you expect Sympa to do. Any ideas?

Moving to another server
If you‘re upgrading and moving to another server at the same time, we
recommend you first to stop the operational service, move your data and then
upgrade Sympa on the new server. This will guarantee that Sympa upgrade
procedures have been applied on the data.

The migration process requires that you move the following data from the old
server to the new one:

the user database. If using MySQL you can probably just stop mysqld and copy
the /var/lib/mysql/sympa/ directory to the new server;
the /home/sympa/expl directory that contains list config;
the directory that contains the spools;
the directory /etc/sympa.conf and wwsympa.conf. Sympa new installation
creates a file /etc/sympa.conf (see sympa.conf parameters) and randomly
initializes the cookie parameter. Changing this parameter will break all
passwords. When upgrading Sympa on a new server, take care that you start
with the same value of this parameter, otherwise you might have problems!
the web archive.
In some cases, you may want to install the new version and run it for a few
days before switching the existing service to the new Sympa server. In this
case, perform a new installation with an empty database and play with it.
When you decide to move the existing service to the new server:

stop all sympa processes on both servers;
transfer the database;
edit the /data_structure.version on the new server; change the version value
to reflect the old number;
start “sympa.pl -upgrade“, it will upgrade the database structure according
to the hop you do.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
3:50 p.m.