en - [sympa-users] Re: RE: Re: Re: Re: database choice/ server sizing

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: Chris Andrews <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: RE: Re: Re: Re: database choice/ server sizing
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:42:56 +0100

Chris Andrews wrote:
A related question that I forgot and left off the first post, how are you
guys handling archiving. I am considering moving the archives to their own
SAN partition so they do not eat all the space on my server. We do not
archive currently with Majordomo, thank god, but I was thinking of setting a
global archive limit of 10 - 50 MB and then change the lists on request. I
am hoping to limit message size to 1 MB, but for some reason people throw
around 10 MB emails, even though we have a pretty good web based storage
system here (Xythos).

Do you guys set limits on archive size?

What kind of growth in archive space usage do you see?
We are archiving all messages without limit for any lists starting 1993. To day it's only 38 GB with 2.400.000 inodes used on the partition (about 1.000.000 messages). The disk used is growing much more slower than the disk price decrease.
Serge Aumont