en - [sympa-users] Re: Re: On the fly lists....

  • From: <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: Re: On the fly lists....
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:41:00 +0100

Hi,

> The goal is to trigger list creation when a mail is received for the list.
> It
makes use of list families feature and highly use the expressiveness of TT2
template format.

> Sylvain, correct me if I missed an essential aspect of the feature...

Yes, TT2 is very powerful to compute config files, and remains quite simple.

Automatic list creation is now the main way for us to build new lists. We have
about 300 lists created per week this way. When there are too many lists, we
just delete them. They will be re-created if a user post a new message. It's
cost-less.

We discovered how it is simple to write his own TT2 Filter. So we have a
unique
perl function to compute LDAP filters (or SQL queries), that we use in
config.tt2, and scenari as well. We could discuss this in the sympa-dev list.
But of course you could use TT2 the conventional way, using the family and
listname to build the list parameters.

Gavin wants one-time mailshot lists. There's no automatic-list-deletion yet,
but you can handle this easily :
For example, using postfix, we defer the automatic list family transport, so
no
new message could come to sympa for the family ; we --close_family this family
; we delete these lists in the expl/ spool, and then we stop the
defer_transport to let the new messages come in. Lists are automatically
re-created.

You can't figure out how popular is our new mailing-list system : every user
can use a XUL interface that let him "build" his own list. Of course the XUL
build no list but just give him a vCard that holds the correct email address
for the criteria he checked.
Then he uses this vCard to send a mail, and the list is automatically created.

For many lists, we published their email address in our Exchange and OpenLdap
Directories. So users use them and ignore that they are on-the-fly lists.

Gavin, if you want, post your lists specifications, and we could write the
config.tt2 together.

Regards,
Sylvain

  • [sympa-users] Re: Re: On the fly lists...., sylvain.amrani, 02/22/2007