en - [sympa-users] SYMPA & Oracle: too many open cursors

  • From: "Jahnke-Zumbusch, Dirk" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] SYMPA & Oracle: too many open cursors
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:36:26 +0100

Hello,

we are using SYMPA 5.1.2 together with Oracle 10i on Scientific Linux 4
(RHEL 4 derivate), approx. 1000 lists.

I recently added about 300 lists, which are derived from database
entries,
subscribers as well as list owners.

Since then I observe "ORA-01000: maximum open cursors exceeded" errors.

Problem 1: SYMPA did not report these errors, but instead took the
e-mail,
archived it and -- in case the SELECT statement for subscribers failed
--
did not send an e-mail but _silently_ failed. Only in the log file
there

Problem 2: the "maximum open cursors exceeded" itself. When having a
look at Oracle, the SYMPA user hold 13,000 open cursors =8-O and I do
not have a clue why. The SYMPA server processes are restarted every
night, so this should not be a problem of having old processes
accumulating
cursors about a long time.

Our Oracle-DBA found, that most times a statement like

'SELECT user_admin "email", comment_admin "gecos", reception_admin
"reception", ...
FROM admin_table
WHERE ...'

causes the trouble. This seems to be in "sub get_admin_user" (List.pm),
where $sth->fetchrow_hashref is called. But also an $sth->finish. So,
what is consuming all cursors and does not free them?

I am not that familiar with SYMPA or DBI, so has anybody else
experienced
this problem?

Best regards,

--
Dirk Jahnke-Zumbusch Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
IT Information Fabrics Member of the Helmholtz Association

  • [sympa-users] SYMPA & Oracle: too many open cursors, Jahnke-Zumbusch, Dirk, 02/22/2007