en - [sympa-users] Re: Re: Issue with initial Oracle and initial setup

  • From: Dallas Wisehaupt <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: Re: Issue with initial Oracle and initial setup
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:32:01 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Thanks for the pointer, I just verified and there isn't any whitespace.
I think I may have located the issue though.

I have been able to successfully start sympa now if I do it as the user
root or as the user sympa. We don't usually log in as either account and
try to keep them as service accounts. Generally, commands are run
through sudo for auditing purposes.

It appears that there is something being lost in translation when using
sudo. Even though all of the users involved have ORACLE_HOME defined in
their environments, I think it (or some other necessary variable) may be
dropped when using sudo.

We'll just make sure that we actually use the user account when starting
and stopping during testing. This shouldn't be an issue with the machine
startup scripts since those ensure the entire environment is properly
established.

Thanks for taking a look.

Dallas